720World

Little Trucks, Big World

I installed some 245/75-16 tires on Nismo rims and it of course through my speedometer off which I already expected.

Problem is, it's off by 10mph which is more than I expected and before it gets me in trouble with the local police I want to fix this problem.

I have "searched" before but the only threads were from back in 2008 and none came to a definite answer as to what was actually available and if it would fit or work on our trucks.

I called the local dealer and they seem to think that nothing was ever available for the 720.   Someone else suggested the use of gears from the 280z...I don't know if they will work or not.

Please help me if you have any experience with this issue and can help, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Tom

Views: 88

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just a side note on this.  

You need to get a speedometer gear and shaft from a early '80's Z model and you have to get the bushing and O-ring for the Z model and not for the 720 pickup.

The shaft end, taper, etc. are all different, as noted above, and the new bushings are needed to properly seal the different shaft to prevent oil leaking out.

They are cheap enough to purchase so it is really not a big deal, just take note (or better yet take pictures) of how the seal sits inside the housing before removing it.

To get the old seal out I used a paint can opener like you get at Lowe's or Ace Hardware, they have a loop on one end for your finger to go through and on the other end it looks like a flat head screwdriver with a bent tip, you just stick it through the bushing and hook it on the back side and then pull it out, very simple.

Be sure to lubricate the O-ring and bushing before installing to reduce the chance of cutting them on a burr of metal and causing a leak.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Events

© 2018   Created by TigerRacing.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service