720World

Little Trucks, Big World

So, I'm sure quite a few fellow Datsun and Nissan enthusiasts saw this on SpeedTV over the last year, it was celebrated back in 2010.  It was the 40th Anniversary of the Z car!

http://automotive.speedtv.com/article/vintage-z-fans-partying-in-na...

We missed our opportunity at a 30th Anniversary event for the 720, but here we are already in 2012, only 3 years away from the 35th anniversary of the 720.

I think that If anyone should lead the way for such an event, 720World should!

Discussions for a 720World event in Las Vegas, NV have already started.  Undertaking of such an event would be difficult without volunteers to help with planning and execution.  But perhaps a smaller "warm-up" event could be tried before the 35th Anniversary gets here.

Such an event could include a show-n-shine, bracket drag racing, trail rides and perhaps a burn-out competition so that both 4wd and 2wd owners have plenty to take part in.  Also, some technical seminars to help share valuable information.

Lodging and transportation would be the responsiblity of the participants, however, every effort would be made to try to set up discounted lodging in association with the event.  A participation entry fee would be charged to help cover the costs of the facilities, operating expenses, insurance and awards, etc.  The targeted cost of participation would be $150 or less for the entire event.  However, this will depend greatly on the number of participants, the facilities cost and the cost of event insurance.  Vendors will be encouraged to participate, with a table or exhibition fee TBD.  I'll also be approaching vendors for potential sponsors of the event, perhaps even Nissan itself.

I think a 3 day event, Friday through Sunday, would be warranted.

Let me know what you think, some of your ideas for such an event, and if you'd be interested in attending or helping with planning or execution.

Thanks!

Corey Amundson

aka TigerRacing

720World.com

Views: 461

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Patrick, if I have enough time to plan ahead for this, I will make my best effort to be there for sure!!!

I'm looking into some time in September when it isn't so hot around here.  

i would for sure go no matter where it is, i have no idea what it takes to hold an event like this but i do think there would be quite a few trucks.

i would do a vegas trip for sure....

Here is one suggestion though...

I had a triumph tr7 and one thing we learned in those long distance meets was to have parts sources layed out all over the country in route of the members.... so we can solve the issues quickly if anything goes wrong... and with cell phones one member can even grab a part for another member along the way if needed... This planning ahead is priceless when a headgasket blows or a driveline goes pogostick on someone.

I like that, especially because that support network is priceless.  It looked like the last Canby event for Ratsun had a bunch of guys rebuilding a motor in the fairgrounds in a 620 that broke down en route.  That kind of support keeps these things going.  Definitely something to consider.

Also, I'll be bringing my parts stash with parts for trade.

An engine was in bad shape when it got there and someone said "Hey, I have one at home you can use" and with all the help and know how in one spot, out came the hydraulic jacks. The motor was lifted out by 6-7 guys using a rear tube bumper. It was fun to watch.

The 'new' block had a bad head, so the old one had to be swapped on along with the manifolds. The 620 rolled in from Idaho and was wheezing badly and clutch slipping, it was replaced while the tranny was out along with a timing set. Work started around 6-7 at night and was running by Saturday afternoon. A camera was set up taking a picture every few minutes to fast forward the swap on playback.

This is Jeff Hino who started the Ratsun forum. I missed seeing him in person though we have talked several times on the phone. He spent the night sleeping on  a510 rear seat with a sleeping blanket. That's hard core.

Everyone should make the Hajj to Canby at least once in their lives. Great times.

I'm working on it mike!!!!!  Hopefully will make it a regular event to attend.

Glad you shared the real story about what happened with the 620.  I think I only got bits about what happened through the Ratsun posts I was reading.  I joined Ratsun some time ago, but I'm far from a regular on there.  Think that Doug spotted me in there once, but that's about it.

That's awesome, I love that kind of comradery, you see it in racing organizations too...

What a great idea.  Good on ya!

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Events

© 2017   Created by TigerRacing.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service