720World

Little Trucks, Big World

Hi all, sorry if this has been asked before, but i havent found any info.

I have a 85 4wd Z22 720 and it has developed an issue. Has been driving fine the last six month I've had it but a few days ago it bogged down while driving. I limped it home in first gear but the problem hasn't resolved. It has new plugs and leads, and what looks to be a not overly old coil. The fuel pump still makes all the same noises it used to, and it seems to be getting fuel. Is there anything else that can cause this??

Thanks in advance.

Views: 205

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds to simple to be true but it could be the fuel filter.

Thanks, ill check that out today, after i sort out the headlight issues. Gotta love the old trucks when there not working properly....

Right! They can be a hand full but at least they can still be worked on with a screwdriver and a wrench! I had an 84 Mazda B2000 that gave me the same problem. Kinda idled like crap and had no power when you gave it gas - all it was was the fuel filter stopped up. Hope your problem is that simple.

I RECOMEND  YOU CHECK  SPARK  WHEN  YOU  EXPECT  THE  PROBLEM 720"S  GETS  TROUBLE  WITH  IGNITION  MODULE THE  ELECTRONIC PART  INSIDE  THE DISTRIBUITOR NORMALY  WHEN ENGINE  IS  COLD  STARS OK    BUT  AFTER  WARM UP  STARS  THE  TROUBLE  EASY  TO  CHECK IT  WHEN  U   EXPECT   THE  PROBLEM  CHECK  IF  U HAVE  SPARK  ON  SPARK PLUG  WIRES   CHECK  THAT  I HOPE  THIS  INFO  HELPS  *

I changed the fuel filter and it didn't help, but I've since adjusted the timing a little and it seems to be better. (cant wait to rebuild the sd25 I've just acquired and drop it in)....

Z24s are known for sudden head gasket failures @ 100K.

How do you diagnose this. My Z24 has a little over 200K miles on it now and it's about 28 years old. I bought it new in late 1985. The paper work on the sales ticket calls my truck an 1986 Long Bed 720 Pick Up Truck.  But the stamp on the door says August 1985 and it was delivered in late 1985 to the dealer according to the shipping paper work. 

Can I do a dry compression test on each cylinder on the exhaust side by screwing a vacuum gage hose into each of the spark plug holes?  The last time I did this the dry compression test results were not very good.  But after I added some oil to each spark plug hole and did the vacuum test again the readings showed a higher compression. 

I not a mechanic and have never torn an engine apart other than to just change the oil and spark plugs and minor things like fixing a broken wire or changing the air filter.  So I'm not sure what the head gasket looks like or how to tell it's it's bad.  Once year ago I was driving a Pontiac Firebird and had the throttle cable stick on me and didn't think to turn the key off as all I could think to do was to put the transmission into neutral so as not to kill myself. I was going down a straight section of road and heading for  a very dangerous hair pin turn of about 80 deg and trying to get the accelerator pedal to release but each time I tapped it the thing got stuck further down and the faster I was going.  I panicked and didn't think about turning the key off.  I got the car stopped before I ran off the road at the curve and coasted to a stop but with the engine still running hot.  By the time on of the neighbors came out of the house to help me the engine had been blown and oil was found in the radiator's water.  I know that it was shot at that point.  If only I had thought to shut off the key I could have saved me and the engine.  But at least I knows that my trucks radiator is not full of engine oil so I guess that maybe the head gasket is still ok.  I think that the other car I drove that had the stuck pedal had a cracked engine block.  So maybe that was worse than a blown head gasket. 

I do know that my truck is making a funny noise these days and it didn't do that before.  It sounds like its coming from the very front section of the engine block itself. I don't think that's a good sign expecially now that the engine is stalling every so often. 

Thanks every one for the help. Turned out to be a carby full of crap, the rubber cover over the plunger was perished and letting whatever would fit in.

Title get changed? Cause I swear I thought it said Z24. Anyway the HG is out if Z22

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Events

© 2018   Created by TigerRacing.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service